As the first point of contact for nearly all patrons, the Box Office Manager will maintain the highest level of customer service for all audience members, donors, and members of the public, in person, by phone, and via email. They will monitor and respond to ticket inquiries within and outside of regular Box Office hours, execute sales, welcome visiting groups, lead nightly will-call setup and removal, coordinate seating adjustments and upgrades in concert with House Manager, coordinate advance sales of food and wine in concert with Concessions Manager, nurture and support a warm work environment for the Box Office team, and work to ensure the most welcoming experience for visitors.
Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival (HVSF), a critically acclaimed, professional, nonprofit theater company, is seeking an experienced Box Office Manager for its summer festival season. Located one-hour north of Manhattan, HVSF has established a reputation for lucid, imaginative, engaging, and highly inventive productions staged on the Great Lawn of the historic Boscobel House and Gardens, in Garrison, NY. Each year, its productions attract a total audience of 37,000+ from Westchester, Putnam, New York City, New Jersey, and beyond. HVSF also has an extensive and highly regarded education program, which reaches over 60,000 students in the tri-state area through a variety of in-depth programming. The company’s mission is to engage the widest possible audience in a fresh conversation about what is essential in Shakespeare’s plays. Our theater lives in the here and now, at the intersection of the virtuosity of the actor, the imagination of the audience, and the inspiration of the text.
HVSF seeks an energetic, warm, and highly organized Box Office Manager (BOM) to join HVSF’s summer Front-of-House team and lead a small but dedicated group of seasonal Box Office Support Staff, including an Assistant Manager. Working in close partnership with HVSF’s House Manager, Concessions Manager, Production Manager, and Stage Manager(s), the BOM will ensure consistent and efficient handling of nightly on-site operations. The BOM reports directly to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
As the first point of contact for nearly all patrons, the BOM will maintain the highest level of customer service for all audience members, donors, and members of the public, in person, by phone, and via email. They will monitor and respond to ticket inquiries within and outside of regular Box Office hours, execute sales, welcome visiting groups, lead nightly will-call setup and removal, coordinate seating adjustments and upgrades in concert with House Manager, coordinate advance sales of food and wine in concert with Concessions Manager, nurture and support a warm work environment for the Box Office team, and work to ensure the most welcoming experience for visitors.
The BOM is also the primary manager of HVSF’s ticketing and donation system, Spektrix, and will maintain clean customer records by establishing a set of HVSF Data Best Practices, merging duplicates, updating patron information for accuracy, and training Box Office Staff to adequately review and confirm patron information. Working closely with the Director of Development and Director of Marketing, the BOM will support ticketing needs for members of HVSF’s Saints & Poets Society and Festival Circles Program.
- Oversee, manage, and train HVSF Box Office team of 3-5 staff members, including one Assistant Box Office Manager
- Serve as primary point of contact and customer service liaison for visiting patrons, buyers, and groups
- Assist with interviews, hiring, and training of seasonal Front-of-House staff prior to the season
- Report on and process daily check and cash deposits, and securely deliver to Business Manager
- Monitor nightly audience counts and make sales recommendations to Director of Marketing
- Execute and maintain accurate programming of all ticketed and ancillary events within Spektrix
- Provide information to House Manager for nightly Front-of-House reports, and patron/staff feedback to Director of Marketing for continued improvement of the HVSF experience
- Prepare bi-weekly schedules for Box Office Staff using HVSF’s scheduling platform, Sling
- Execute the setup and breakdown of the on-site Box Office, including transport of office equipment to and from HVSF’s storage unit, and coordinate technical setup of all computers, phones, printers, and internet with HVSF’s IT Manager
- Interface with on-site Production and Front-of-House Staff, Boscobel Staff, and HVSF Administrative Staff
- Communicate information about upcoming events and special promotions to Box Office Staff and patrons
- Generate and maintain a variety of automated and on-demand reports for all departments via Spektrix
- Familiarize themselves and train staff in HVSF’s safety and evacuation procedures
- Support ancillary Education, Marketing, and Development events as needed
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Two or more years of experience in a Box Office Management or Assistant Management role
- Excellent knowledge of and proficiency in a ticketing/donation platform, such as Spektrix, Blackbaud, or Tessitura
- Excellent knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Superior organizational skills
- Comfort and experience working with large quantities of data and reporting
- Patient, attentive, and friendly Customer Service skills and strong ability to read customer’s needs
- Administrative or leadership experience that demonstrates excellent judgement, attention to detail, grace and quick thinking under pressure, and a strong affinity for teamwork
Ideal Personal Characteristics
- Be a highly motivated self-starter and quick learner
- Demonstrate a consistently high level of warm, welcoming, and thoughtful customer service
- Be able to quickly and effectively diffuse high-tension situations and positively respond to a variety of customer personalities
- Be able to manage multiple special projects and deadlines while meeting nightly operational needs
- Be a skillful collaborator and good-humored, “hands-on” team member
Terms and Compensation
This is a seasonal, full time commitment from early-May through early-September requiring weekend and evening availability and compensated with a weekly salary (commensurate with skills and experience). For the right candidate, the Box Office Manager position could possibly extend beyond the summer season, if and when HVSF reaches its next phase of growth and expansion.
HVSF is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and women. Candidates from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send your resume, three references, and a cover letter to Emma Corey, Director of Marketing & Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.