Request for Proposal (RFP)
Visual Identity Design Services
January 26, 2021
Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival (HVSF), is a private, non-profit, 501(c)(3), professional, theater company. The organization was founded in 1987 and has been critically acclaimed in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and many other publications. Located one hour north of Manhattan, the Festival has established a reputation for lucid, engaging, and highly inventive productions staged in rotating repertory under an iconic, open-air theater tent overlooking the Hudson River on the grounds of Boscobel House & Gardens and has historically welcomed over 30,000 patrons annually to their summer performances.
HVSF has undergone tremendous artistic and programmatic evolution in recent seasons under the leadership of Artistic Director Davis McCallum and Managing Director Kate Liberman, including the infusion of new and contemporary works for the stage, transfers of HVSF productions to peer theaters, and a major investment in community engagement and art-making initiatives. The festival has also toured its work to over venues throughout the region and reaches over 50,000 students and educators annually through its year-round Education programs.
HVSF is now laying the foundation for its next phase, as in 2022 the company will move to its first-ever permanent home, a spectacular 50+ acre site with an unmatched view of the Hudson River.
This move will transform the beloved summer festival into a year-round cultural anchor for the region, and a national arts destination in the heart of the Hudson Highlands. As part of this move, HVSF will also acquire the existing Valley Restaurant and The Garrison, a wedding and events space, both of which are already established on the property. At this moment of growth, the organization is seeking a design partner to create a visual identity that reflects this new chapter of the company’s story.
I. ABOUT HVSF — MISSION, VISION, & VALUES
In recent months, and in anticipation of the move to a new home, HVSF has evolved and clarified the organization’s mission, vision, and core values, which will inform the brand identity of the new campus.
Rooted in the landscape of the Hudson Valley, with the plays of William Shakespeare as our touchstone, HVSF engages the widest possible audience in a theatrical celebration of our shared humanity.
We are a classical repertory theater that speaks to the present moment. For us, Shakespeare and the classics are more than texts; they are sites of inclusion and playfulness, co-created by artists and audiences in the here and now.
We are an arts organization that values people over stuff. Our work springs from the most essential of elements — actor, audience, language, and landscape. We prioritize human relationships, and our people feel strongly invested in our success.
We are a year-round community resource for all of the people of the Hudson Valley. Our campus is an extraordinary space for human gathering, and we actively share it with our neighbors as a public good.
We are a national model for environmental sustainability in the performing arts. As part of a long line of land stewards in this region, we are rooted in the rich tradition of environmentalism in the Hudson Highlands.
II. PROJECT GOALS
As the organization moves to this new home, transitions to a year-round cultural anchor, and acquires the restaurant and events businesses, we are searching for a partner to guide us on naming conventions and the visual brand relationship between and among these various entities. The goals of this project are to develop a clear design system that represents a cohesive vision for the entire campus; to further establish HVSF as a world-class arts destination in the heart of the Hudson Highlands; and to encapsulate and reflect the unique artistic personality of HVSF.
The agency/designer must create an image for HVSF that can be easily and effectively utilized across multiple graphic identity applications and communicative mediums such as signs, letterheads, signage, social media marketing materials, and webpages.
III. PROJECT SCOPE
- Lead the organization in naming and establishing design conventions for the new site as a whole
- Guide the organization on naming conventions to clearly communicate the relationship between the theater campus, the restaurant, and the event venue
- Advise on industry best practices and position the organization among its peers
- Visual Identity for the theater
- Coordinating identities for the restaurant and event space
- Color usage
- Typography options
- Guidelines on illustration and photographic styles
- Proper use of logos, taglines, and fonts
- Use of infographics
- Design system and conventions
The number of rounds and edits for design will be agreed upon during contract negotiations, however the selected designer/firm should be prepared to present at least two rounds of work to the client’s Board, and to the organization’s staff.
A panel of HVSF staff will review full proposals submitted in response to the RFP. The panel will assess each proposal according to the project description and evaluation criteria provided in this RFP. Selected applicants will be asked to conduct an online video interview with HVSF’s team.
Respondents will be notified of any changes to this schedule.
Note this timeline has been adjusted from the original publication date.
January 26, 2021 – RFP issued and posted publicly on HVSF’s website
February 3, 2021 – Deadline for submitting written questions
February 23, 2021 – Responses to written questions
March 10, 2021 – RFP responses due
March 22, 2021 – Notification of First-round selections, in-person interviews to be scheduled
March 23-April 9, 2021 – Selected applicants scheduled for video presentations with HVSF
April 14, 2021 – Notification of chosen agency, begin contract discussion
Note: This schedule of events is subject to change.
VI. PROPOSAL REQUIREMENTS
The proposal shall be an Adobe PDF document. The proposal shall be an attachment to an email addressed to Amy Brown, abrown[at]hvshakespeare.org. The subject line of the email should be “Proposal for Visual Identity Services to HVSF”. The following electronic documents and responses shall be included in the proposal.
1. COMPANY BACKGROUND
- Business address and phone number
- Principal contact (phone and email address)
- A brief description of your operation as you would describe it to the prospective clients. Include evidence the firm has experience in providing design services in the same manner as described in this RFP.
- Indicated the year the agency was founded. Indicate if it has operated continuously since that time.
- Submit an organizational chart of your staff by title and indicate the number of full-time professionals. In addition, include biographies of the principals.
- List all primary services offered by the agency
- List three clients with a short description of the work done for each account. Include accounts with similar scope as described in this RFP. For each, please indicate, client name, a reference contact email, and telephone number.
- Provide the name of the person that will be the key personnel assigned to work with HVSF. Include background information that this person has experience managing an account with similar scope as described in this RFP.
2. ACTION PLAN FOR SCOPE OF SERVICES
- Provide a description of the agency’s overall approach including strategies for accomplishing the Scope of Services and rationale for the agency’s approach. Please provide an overview of your approach and how you could successfully implement the services requested.
- Provide a comprehensive budget detailing the projected costs for the activities listed in the Scope of Services, and any other services anticipated by the agency. This cost should include all anticipated travel, printing, and material expenses.
Download a PDF of this RFP Document here.